The Holmhurst, which originally opened in 1898, was located at 121 S. Pennsylvania Avenue. The site had originally housed the Seaside Hotel, but its owners moved it closer to the ocean in 1890, eager to profit from the growing success of the Boardwalk. Situated in the shadow of nearby luxury Boardwalk hotels like the Seaside and the Chalfonte-Haddon Hall, the wood-framed Holmhurst enjoyed quiet success as a small, family-run hotel by the Stitzer family. It was supposedly the first hotel in Atlantic City to have its front desk on the ground floor, and air conditioning was never needed outside of its dining room due to ocean breezes passing down the street. The 135-room Holmhurst survived the initial wave of casino development in Atlantic City, but in a 1982 Press article, its owners were worried that its days were numbered. The transformation of the nearby Haddon Hall into Resorts Casino had changed the feel of the neighborhood, as well as the expenses of operating there, and a new addition to the casino threatened to choke off the Holmhurst’s access to ocean breezes. In 1985, the old hotel was torn down.   H084.Holmhurst002
 H.LHSF.Hotels.Holmhurst001  The Holmhurst Hotel, circa 1950s.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H084.Holmhurst001.
 A photo of the Holmhurst Hotel's demolition which appeared in the Press of Atlantic City in 1985.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H.LHSF.Hotels.Holmhurst001.
 

For more information, see these resources in the Atlantic City Free Public Library, Atlantic City Heritage Collections:

Local History Subject Files - Hotels

contentmap_plugin
made with love from Appartamenti vacanza a Corralejo - Fuerteventura

Print