The Luray Hotel, situated at the ocean end of Kentucky Avenue, was originally opened in 1887 by Adolphus C. Downes. A year later, Downes sold the hotel to Josiah White, who would soon become one of Atlantic City’s most prominent hoteliers. White continued to operate the Luray while simultaneously acquiring more hotel properties around the city, until the wooden Luray was destroyed by a large fire in 1902. White, who had just opened the newly-constructed Marlborough House, decided not to rebuild on the site. It is possible that when building the Marlborough’s sister hotel, the Blenheim, White was thinking of the Luray fire, and for this reason chose the hotel’s revolutionary fireproof concrete construction. The only thing remaining of the Luray after the 1902 fire was its smokestack, which continued to stand for many years afterwards. H084.Luray001 
 

 

For more information, see these resources in the Atlantic City Free Public Library, Atlantic City Heritage Collections:

Local History Subject Files – Hotels
City Directories

 An undated photo of the Luray Hotel.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H084.Luray001.
contentmap_plugin
made with love from Appartamenti vacanza a Corralejo - Fuerteventura

Print