|The first Hotel Strand was opened in 1898, by proprietors Fairbairn & Williams, at 164 S. Virginia Avenue. It is unknown why the proprietors abandoned this property, but by 1901, Fairbairn & Williams had opened another Hotel Strand at 178 South Pennsylvania Avenue. The Strand had 300 rooms and 200 baths. During World War II, it was one of many hotels in Atlantic City to be converted into military use and house army personnel. After a fire in the hotel in the early 1950s, the property was purchased by the Leeds and Lippincott families, who owned the neighboring Chalfonte-Haddon Hall complex. They demolished one fire-gutted section, reducing the hotel to 100 rooms, and operated it first as the Hotel Abbey, and later Abbey Motor Hotel. The structure was hooked into the Chalfonte-Haddon Hall’s power supply as a resource-conserving measure. Meanwhile, previous owners Manny and Claire Solomon opened a new Strand Motel further downbeach, on the site on which the Golden Nugget casino was later built. The Abbey Motor Hotel finally ceased operations in 1978, when the Chalfonte-Haddon Hall was bought out by Resorts International. It was presumably demolished to make way for the new casino project.|
For more information, see these resources in the Atlantic City Free Public Library, Atlantic City Heritage Collections:
Local History Subject Files – Hotels
| A circa-1900 postcard illustration of the Strand Hotel.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H084.Strand001.
made with love from Appartamenti vacanza a Corralejo - Fuerteventura