|The Lexington Hotel was a typical example of Atlantic City’s early grand hotels, which also met a typical fate. Located at Arkansas and Pacific Avenues, the Lexington supplanted two earlier guest cottages which had existed at the site, the Constitution and the Alvin House. Its earliest structure was made out of wood, but as concerns of fire grew, it like many other hotels constructed a new building of fireproof brick. The brick Lexington opened in 1911, boasting of what was then first-class accommodations and services, like private baths in 150 out of its 250 guest rooms. The hotel also operated a farm ten miles inland to supply its kitchens. In 1933, city Building Superintendent James W. Peterson was motivated by safety concerns to clean up or demolish “doubtful buildings” in Atlantic City. As a result of the Peterson Decree, the Lexington was one of 150 older, fire-prone or structurally unsound hotels that met the wrecking ball that year. Later, a Howard Johnson’s Hotel and Motel was built on the site, and when casino gambling was legalized in Atlantic City, the structure was converted into Caesars Boardwalk Regency. Although it has been expanded several times in years since, portions of the Howard Johnson’s building still remain within the Caesars complex.|
| The Lexington Hotel advertises its new renovations in a 1911 brochure.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H.LHSF.Hotels.Lexington001.
| Howard Johnson's repurposed as Caesar's Boardwalk Regency casino in 1981.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H084.Caesars001.
For more information, see these resources in the Atlantic City Free Public Library, Atlantic City Heritage Collections:
Hotel Brochures – Heston Coll. 647.94
made with love from Appartamenti vacanza a Corralejo - Fuerteventura