The Liberty Hotel is one of the few relics of Atlantic City’s old Northside community that is still standing today. Located at 1519 Baltic Avenue, the Liberty was opened in the early 1930s and proclaimed itself as “the most modern and best equipped hotel for colored people in the East.” It was originally managed by President Thomas Taylor, Vice President Charles Tilton, and Secretary-Treasurer William Zimmer, who went on to become the hotel’s manager until 1946. Due to its proximity to Kentucky Avenue, which was a thriving scene of Black businesses and entertainment, many Black performers and celebrities stayed at the Liberty in its heyday. The building continued to operate as a hotel until 1983, when it was converted into an apartment building. The Liberty Apartments still operate today. H084.Liberty001 
   An undated postcard for the Liberty Hotel.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H084.Liberty001.
   

For more information, see these resources in the Atlantic City Free Public Library, Atlantic City Heritage Collections:

H084 Postcard Collections
“Northside Businesses,” staff research
H097 Oral History Project – interview with Jackie Bass Pinkney

contentmap_plugin

Print Email