In 1901, Captain John Young, who had already left his mark on Atlantic City in the form of Young’s Pier (later Central Pier) and Million Dollar Pier (eventually replaced by the Ocean One shopping mall, now known as the Pier Shops at Caesar’s), added an apartment building to his list of businesses. Young’s Apartments, located at Tennessee Avenue, was the first brick apartment building on the Boardwalk. Young converted the building to hotel operations soon after it opened. Young’s Hotel had the distinction of briefly housing a volunteer fire company within the building, after the “Beach Pirates” company’s nearby station was lost in a devastating fire. Captain Young, himself a member of the Beach Pirates, gave space his hotel to be their temporary headquarters, and personally financed the construction of a new building behind the hotel in 1902. Young’s Hotel did not retain its original name for long, however. It was first changed to the Sterling, and then, when Ala and Mack Latz came to own the building, to the Alamac. The hotel also operated as the Knickerbocker, and finally, after 1944, as the Mayflower Hotel. In 1961, the Mayflower added the first health spa in the city to its facilities. It ceased hotel operations in 1970, and in 1971 was used as the temporary campus of the new Richard Stockton College of New Jersey. The Mayflower operated as a retirement hotel for a few years before it was bought by Bob Guccione for $8 million. Guccione, who was in the process of building a Penthouse Casino further down the Boardwalk, planned for his second casino project at the Mayflower site and had the hotel razed. When funding fell through on the Penthouse project, however, Guccione abandoned building efforts at both locations.  H049.647.94Ala004 
 H009.745.8Aer1143  A 1914 postcard for the Alamac Hotel makes note of the previous owner.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H049.647.94Ala004.
 A 1955 aerial photograph shows the Mayflower Hotel across from Central Pier on the Boardwalk (with Budweiser advertisement on roof).
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H009.745.8Aer1143.
 

For more information, see these resources in the Atlantic City Free Public Library, Atlantic City Heritage Collections:

Local History Subject Files – Hotels
“Atlantic City: Postcard History Series” Heston Coll. 917.4985Ris
“Firefighting by the Seashore,” Heston Coll. 352.3Kem
H040 Living History project – Oral History interview with James Latz
“Book of the Boardwalk”, Heston Coll. 974.985But

contentmap_plugin

Print Email