|A prominent name in Atlantic City hotel history, the Hotel Morton began its life as Linden Hall in 1894. In 1899, the name changed when Mary Haines came to own the hotel. Her father purchased it for her on the condition that she rename it in honor of her great-great grandfather, John Morton, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The Morton, which was located at 150 S. Virginia Avenue, underwent several reconstructions and additions throughout the years, including a new wing in 1925, and another renovation in 1929 which added an indoor pool. In 1933 the building added John Morton Hall, further emphasizing its connections with the American Revolutionary figure. The hotel was especially known for the Crow’s Nest, its rooftop cocktail lounge featuring dancing nightly. During World War II, the Morton became a Coast Guard training school, and was one of the last two hotels in the city to be “discharged” from military service, in 1946. The hotel continued to operate amidst declining fortunes in Atlantic City. It shuttered in 1967, blaming the lack of business on a rainy summer season that year. The following year, it was sold and reopened, continuing hotel operations under the Morton name until 1973. The building then sat vacant until 1983, when it was purchased by Resorts for $3.3 million and demolished. The casino which stands at the spot today, the Taj Mahal, originally began construction as a Resorts project.|
| The original Morton Hotel is shown on this 1912 postcard.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H084.Morton001.
| The Morton received many additions and renovations until finally reaching this state, seen here circa 1940s.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H084.Morton005.
For more information, see these resources in the Atlantic City Free Public Library, Atlantic City Heritage Collections:
Local History Subject Files – Hotels
made with love from Appartamenti vacanza a Corralejo - Fuerteventura